Selecting the Perfect Loose Diamonds
The term “loose diamond” refers to a diamond that has not been set into a piece of jewelry. The main benefit of loose diamonds is that they can be set as any piece of jewelry, including earrings and rings. Currently, there are several reputable providers of loose diamonds online including James Allen, Blue Nile and Whiteflash. This write-up will help give you the key knowledge that you need before making your selection.
1. Types of Designs for Loose Diamonds
Halo- this design is where a circle of smaller ones surrounds the loose diamond. This design helps to make the diamond look bigger than it is.
Pave- this design involves setting small diamonds together in such a way that there is minimum visibility to the prongs that are holding them in place.
Split shanks- a split shank is a band that resembles a bridge that holds the loose diamond in place.
2. The 4Cs
Whether it is a loose diamond or a regular one, the following factors always come in handy when selecting the best one;
• Cut- this can be defined as the finish, proportion of the polish of the diamond. The cut of the diamond is a major determinant of the brilliance and diameter of the diamond. For an earring, the cut also determines the elegance of the diamond. Examples of diamond cuts are round and princess cuts. Round diamonds are the most common in the market. These examples are characterized by ideal proportions, polish, and ratings of symmetry.
• Clarity- The clarity can be defined as the clearness or the purity of the diamond. The clarity of a diamond is graded from F-1, with F being the most flawless and I being a diamond with inclusions.
• Carat- The carat can be defined as the weight of the diamond. This is the most commonly considered factor when choosing the best diamond. A single carat is equivalent to 0.20 grams. The larger the carat of a diamond, the costlier it is. While the clarity and cut can also influence the cost of a diamond, the carat’s influence is significant.
Once you have determined the best loose diamond, you want to consider the setting of the diamond. Below are some of the best settings for your earring’s loose diamond;
• The Prong setting- The prong is a small metal clasp whose role is to grasp the diamond and keep it in place. The type of prong that you choose depends on the cut of the diamond. You can either choose between a four or six-prong setting.
• The Bezel Setting- This type of setting holds the diamond in place by surrounding it with a metal rim. This type of setting creates more secure and provides a modern look.
Setting separately will help you to get a better diamond for a friendlier budget.
4. Diamond Certifications
Before you decide on the best diamond, you must be conversant with the concept of diamond certification. A diamond is considered certified if it has gone through the evaluation process. Evaluation is mostly done by a third party, in many cases, a gemological lab. The most trusted labs for diamond certification include GIA, AGS, EGL, IGI, and HRD.
5. The Reputation of the Diamond vendor
Diamonds, loose or not, are very costly. Therefore, the trick to getting the best ones is choosing the right vendor. You can always opt for online stores since they offer more selection, better prices, and flexibility. However, make sure to research the reputation of the store, online or offline, before you go into business with them.
Consider the above tips when choosing the best loose diamond and vendor as well before making your purchase for your next piece of diamond jewelry.